Saturday, May 18, 2013

THE ORIENTAL SHELL ART QUESTION?


I received a picture of this twelve inch by one inch deep wall hanging shell art frame from the owner in Texas.

From the picture and the owners comments there is abundance of cut Capiz shells in it.



 My question is the reason for the rabbits in the center and the meaning of the two insignias.
  I do know who ever created this beautiful shell art piece it was created to tell a story and I would love to know it`s meaning.
 This is a thirteen by nineteen inch wall hanging frame which is currently part of my shell art collection.
The time and effort that went into creating it is just amazing. The tree trunk, much to my amazement was created out of at least a hundred of the tiniest limpets I have ever seen. The black lines extending from the limbs are hand painted sea urchin spines and the birds were created using rice shells, painted urchin spins and two other types white shells I`m not acquainted with. 
                              



So here’s my question, what is the artist saying about this creation?   
Do you have the answer?
 In this thirteen by nineteen inch wall hanging is another frame currently part of my shell art collection and wonder if it was created by the same artiest.


This one took a lot of creative imagination as well. There are a few hundred of what may be Dove shells but they are so small it`s hard to tell. On the lower part of the structure is a similar shell but again hard to tell what they are. Just above the lower roof is the name of the structure written in tiny shells but I have no idea what it states. In the lower right of the picture I believe is a wall created with sea urchin parts with vines growing out using sea urchin spines and shells as flowers.
 Well at the least there is no question here on the lower left, Okinawa in two languages but,
what is written in the upper left hand corner?
So now that I have completed and posted this blog I will no longer lie awake at nights dreaming about rabbits or words outside of my language, it`s now your problem!
P.S.  If I do receive answers to the three pictures in this blog I will re-post them when and if I receive them.  If you have an interest in the art work shown, you may direct your questions to  www.sailors-valentine.com contact page.






7 comments:

  1. My comment is in reference to the octagonal box, as I have a collection of MOP-inlaid boxes from Korea and that is where the one pictured is from. Rabbits,birds and deer seem to be common motifs used in the pictures done in MOP on these boxes, and their clasps sometimes are in the shape of turtles. I have never seen any done with capiz inlay, as you mention. Various shells such as gold-lip pearl oyster and abalone are used, as well as other marine and probably freshwater nacraceous shells. I have some boxes that have the interior lined in abalone and some very elaborately hand-carved designs as well as laser-cut shell on the exterior. Geometric patterns are found, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shell art with the two birds, I have the sister picture, I would like to know more about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shell art with the two birds, I have the sister picture, I would like to know more about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchased in an Antique Shop a few years ago and have no information on it. It is very well done with Urchin Spins and tiny Limpets and am hoping that at the Sanibel Show March 3,4,&5 someone will translate what it states. I will post any and all info if I get lucky. Thanks for the inquiry; Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sister picture also and was wondering if you found anything out about them? Thanks, Monica

      Delete
    2. I`m sorry to say I was hoping for more response and information but that has not been the cases. I would have loved to of know the artist who created the framed work which is amazing especially the one with tree made from tiny limpets and painted urchin spines. Like you I have always wondered and how they landed in a US thrift store. Thanks for asking. Bill

      Delete
    3. Me too, if I find anything out I will let you know. Thanks for your reply.

      Delete