Saturday, November 12, 2011

THE SECOND HAND SHELL GAME


Many years ago when I first made the journey to Sanibel Island from Cape Cod I was amazed at the variety of shells I found there.  There were so many beautiful colors, shapes and sizes it seemed as if every one of them was saying "choose me!"  So I did, each and every one!  I remember the feeling I had on my flight home that the plane was listing to the side from the weight of all the shells I had collected during my four month stay.  Once home, I sorted, cleaned and displayed my shell gems.  In the years that followed I became more and more selective, a shell connoisseur of sorts.  Many of my original gems were replaced by bigger and better ones.  So I was telling a friend of mine about all the extra shells I had on hand and felt I shouldn't throw them out, but I didn't know what to do with them.  Here is the advice I received and is what I am calling "The Second Hand Shell Game!"
            Here are the ingredients: Two beach chairs, a couple of non see through plastic bags of self collected shells from "Southern Coastal Beaches,”one northern beach, let's say Cape Cod and a friend to share the experience with.  Here's how it's done.  You head to the beach early in the morning, set up the beach chairs and with your friend sprinkle shells approximately 50 yards in one direction then spread the balance of your shells 50 yards in the other direction.  Need I say more? The truth is I have never tried it, but the picture painted in my mind of what that experience would be like is just priceless.  Maybe someday I will give it a shot but for now I will continue to donate all my extra shells to local shell groups such as Sanibel Shell Crafters (http://www.sailors-valentine.com/Sanibel_Shell_Crafters.pdf) but do let me know if you ever decide to try it, I would love to hear the results.

Last but not least March 1st is getting closer and do expect to see you then.





No comments:

Post a Comment