Monday, June 13, 2011

TINY SHELLS PRODUCE TINY FLOWERS

Along time ago at the beginning of my Sea Shell adventures, I wondered what it would be like to create tiny shell flowers. I don’t even want to think about all the hours, of trial and error I went thru to come up with this system. Even with what I just stated, it was only last week I thought about a modification that might improve the process. I recall a quote from the past, “If you don’t succeed this fist time try, try, try again,” so that’s what I did. I can say with certainty that this NEW and IMPROVED EASEL painted flat black to cut down glare helped. I wonder if this will be the last revision or will someone reading this blog suggest a totally different approach?  So much for musing, it’s time to get on to making Shell Flowers the only way I know how at the moment.
Pictured here is nothing more than a piece of plywood painted flat black with a piece of
Glass glued on top. This is my easel or should I call it a “hot grow house” to make the flowers bloom?
Shown here is a grouping of small shells of different colors, shapes and sizes. Some have been stained and some are in their natural state as nature provided. In the center of the picture are mustard and poppy seeds which will be used as stamens along with Tweezers, a small pin to apply glue and my old friend Tacky Glue, to help the flowers grow.
In this picture I have picked up one of the shells with my tweezers and I`m just touching the hinge end of the shell to the surface of the glue. In other words, a little goes a long way, so you only need to use a very small amount. At this point, I can hear whispering in the background saying “what’s the deal with the bottle cap attached to what looks like a hinge?” Well it’s an invention of mine and as long as I`m handcuffed to this bench, I will do a blog on it before long, so stay tuned. But for now it’s on to making flowers. So I dipped the end of the shell into the glue and in the next picture I`m setting it on the glass.
Here you see the numbers 1 thru 4.  I have set this picture up in this manner to avoid having four separate pictures to show the process of creating the flowers.

Number 1: I have placed the shell I had dipped in the glue on to the glass easel.

Number 2: Using the same process again I have placed two shells together on the glass.

Number 3: Now I have placed three shells together on the glass and created a three petal flower.

Number 4: Repeating the same process if you wish to have a larger flower or a different style I placed five shells together on the glass.

Number 5: Well as you can see, so far so good! 
In this picture you see I continued on creating flowers until I came full circle to the point where the flowers are ready to receive stamens.

In the next picture you see all the stamens installed. I applied a tiny amount of glue in the center of the flower using a small pin then with the tweezers I dropped the seed into the glue. As you can see, the poppy seeds fit well in the small flowers and the mustard seeds fit better in the larger ones. WOW! I am closing in on the end of this blog and I may not be late for supper after all, now that is a first!!!
Well here I am rounding the turn to the home stretch…with a single edge razor blade sliding it back and forth in very short strokes in a sawing type motion the flower will pop free from the glass. So what do you have to say, do you think you can do it? 
Well the rest is up to you.  You can create a flourishing vine as in my “Beach Scene” project or in the picture below using cloth coated wire create a Royal Poinciana Tree. Either way, I will leave your unique creativity up to you.
Now that you have mastered the art of making flowers, the possibilities are endless. I can hardly wait to see your creation at the next Shell Art Show. I hope to see you there and please stop by my table and say hello.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, Bill. Thank you. I have a broken shell tree which your instructions will help me to fix. Unfortunately, we have lost some shells over the years and I have looked everywhere for them. The beaches used to be littered with the small pink round variety but no more. Can you please tell me where to get them? Thanks. Sandy sandra.phillips@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just collecting my shells getting ready to try my hand at making flowers...thanks so much for showing us amateurs how it is done. I can hardly wait to get started. God Bless

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment and I do hope all goes well. Bill

      Delete