Wednesday, May 4, 2011

BEACH SCENE UPDATE: A Mother & Daughter Bond Unfolds

As you can now see, the "Beach Scene" continues to hold most of my attention. After the "Vine" was completed and up to my standard, which of course are very high, I started to lay the foundation for the rest of the scene...the grass! Well, all of what I call beach grass is installed, and I didn't even run out of rope! There are many different types of materials that I could have used for the grass, and many people have shared their own opinion of what I could or should have used. To my surprise, one criticism was, I used the wrong kind of grass and should have used the kind people "smoke." However, for me, it was a wild enough experience without getting into something like that. I get my creativity from other sources...my passion for my craft, my family and my friends.

I digress, to help put this into perspective for you, this is a shadow box that is not much bigger than the size of a VHS tape, if you can remember when those were actually used to watch other forms of art unfold on the "big screen." So to say that this takes time and finesse is an understatement.

With the vine and grass installed, as the family man that I am, I couldn't let this BEACH SCENE continue to mature without incorporating two very important figures, a mother and daughter. With the same pride I had watching my own kids grow up and go on to have their own daughters, my granddaughter, I knew that this landscape could not be complete without sharing and honoring that special bond between a mother and daughter. How fitting with Mother's Day just around the corner.

Now it’s on to the next stage and at this point I`m not sure what it is but I will work it out.  See you again in the next “BEACH SECENE UPDATE”.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for paying tribute to mothers/daughters - this work is amazing! My daughter loves the ocean, and collecting shells, so this was especially special for me to see.

    I'm in awe of the craftsmanship and appreciate seeing the pictures of the project in various stages. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. The great thing about what I do, is that, the art has the ability to speaks to people in different ways. This post was a special one for me as Mother's Day is just around the corner.

    Thank you for sharing your special and personal memory about you and your daughter. May I be the first to say, "Happy Mother's Day!"

    ReplyDelete